5 Easy Steps to Become a Multi-Platform Mobility Expert
Mobility is becoming one of the most important aspects of day to day life and connectivity for business users. The need for expertise and help on mobile platforms is increasing at an exponential rate, and the demand for software assistance and repair facilitation is at an all-time high. There is opportunity in this growing trend for IT solution companies to differentiate themselves by providing expertise in mobile application and device support. The following outlines some simple steps to get the ball rolling.
- Invest in Devices- Seems simple however most MSP or IT solution Provider businesses standardize on a single mobile platform internally. This is great for interoperability but not so great for support. If you have employees using mobile devices, provide a different type of device for each technical person on staff. The major platforms are iOS, Droid, Blackberry, and Windows Phone. By having each staff member learn a different device you are diversifying your technical knowledge and are able to provide support for each platform.
- Utilize Emulators- Emulators are a good way to learn about the different operating systems as well as troubleshoot issues within each platform. By doing a simple google search for “insert platform”+emulator, you will find a number of free and paid tools that will get you started.
- Get a Mobile Remote Management Tool- There are a number of companies that provide tools for logging in to devices remotely. The most popular solution is Logmein Rescue+Mobile, it has available options for iOS, Droid, Blackberry, as well as Windows phone. These tools will be a lifesaver for providing remote access 24×7 from anywhere an internet connection is available.
- Partner with Authorized Repair Facilities- Hardware issues can be frustrating and mobile devices are extremely difficult to repair. Find and partner with authorized hardware repair centers to provide a complete mobile solution for your clients. These companies do not have to be local, you can use internet or mail order services; just be sure to evaluate and research any company you decide to partner with prior to sending a unit out for repair.
- Use marketing to get the Word Out- No flashy campaigns needed here; put a tagline at the bottom of your invoices like “we can help with your mobile devices!” “Iphone, Ipad, Droid, Blackberry, and Windows Phone are no problem.” Make it prominent on the front page of your website that you provide service for mobile devices, and put a sign in your store front window and front desk.
By following these steps, you will not only be on your way to becoming a mobility expert, but you may also be able to increase revenue and grow your customer base. Cross-Platform mobility is here to stay; start providing a much needed solution to your customers and differentiate yourself from your competition now.